History of Plaza College
Founded in 1916 as a private institution based in Long Island City, Plaza moved to its current Jackson Heights location in 1970. From 1975 to the present, the College has continuously made enhancements to resources in order to develop and maintain an outstanding learning environment for the students. The introduction of additional degree program offerings and the expansion of the Library, Internet Center, Learning Resources Center, and Medical Laboratory are just a few major facility enhancements. Academic support, advisement, and career placement services reach out to each student ensuring a successful educational experience. The development of computer facilities, course offerings, and a wireless network on campus, amongst other enhancements to the Plaza College community, clearly reflect Plaza’s history of responding to dramatic changes in technology and the nature of business and medical environments. The College continues to closely monitor career opportunities in New York City, evidenced by Plaza’s healthcare career programs and the College’s advancement to the baccalaureate level, providing additional opportunities for both students and alumni. To meet the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century, the College is committed to achieving strategic planning goals and building upon its strengths through the outcomes assessment process. Keeping the best part of tradition, Plaza’s student-centered focus will remain vital to ensuring the success of each graduate.
- 1916: Founded in Long Island City, New York.
- 1923: Moved to Bridge Plaza South, Chamber of Commerce Building.
- 1948: Opened Astoria location.
- 1950: Moved to Flushing, New York.
- 1970: Expanded and moved to Jackson Heights.
- 1975: Developed innovative new two-year programs
- 1982: Authorized by the Board of Regents of the State of New York to confer the Associate Degree in Occupational Studies (AOS).
- 1988: Authorized to confer the Associate Degree in Applied Science (AAS).
- 1991: Initially accredited as a Junior College.
- 2002: Received accreditation through the Commission on Higher Education of the middle States Association of Schools and Colleges.
- 2004: Authorized to confer the Associate of Occupational Studies in Medical Assisting (AOS).
- 2006: Authorized to confer the Bachelor Degree of Business Administration (BBA).
- 2007: Granted a 10-year re-accreditation by the evaluation team representing Middle States, for “being a student centered institution that goes above and beyond normal expectations to ensure the success of its students.”
- 2008: Awarded a CAAHEP* accreditation for the Medical Assisting programs and became the only CAAHEP-accredited college in Queens County.
- 2009: Authorized to confer the Associate Degree in Health Services Information Technology (HSIT).
- 2009: Authorized to confer the Bachelor Degree of Patient Information Management.