Court Reporting & Captioning Week @Plaza
February 11, 2019
Welcome to the 2019 Court Reporting & Captioning Week!
List of Events:
Monday – February 11th
- Guest Speakers (in the Commons):
- Joshua Edwards, CART Provider – 10 a.m.
- Pamela Fuller, Queens Grand Jury Reporter – 1 p.m
- Michelle Temkin, CART/Captioner – 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday – February 12th
- Game Day: Family Feud in the Commons – 12:30 p.m & 6 p.m.
Wednesday – February 13th
- NCRA Student Speed Contest – (Open to all speedbuilding classes)
- In celebration of Court Reporting & Captioning Week (Feb. 9-16), the NCRA Student/Teacher Committee is sponsoring a Mardi Gras-themed speed test open to all students at varying test speeds. The tests consist of five minutes of dictation at a speed level that each individual student is either currently working on or has just passed. In order to be eligible to win, students must pass the test with 96 percent accuracy. One Literary and one Q&A test will be offered, and the faculty at each school will be responsible for dictating and grading the material.
HOW TO WIN
- All students who pass a test are eligible for prizes; winners will be drawn at random for first (gold), second (purple), and third (green) prizes.- Gold beads prize: NCRA’s RPR Study Guide ($125 value)- Green beads prize: $25 Starbucks gift cardAll students who participate in the contest, even if they don’t pass a test, will have their names and schools published in the student newsletter and the JCR. NCRA wants to showcase the hard work that students and schools are doing to promote the court reporting and captioning professions.
- – Purple beads prize: Choice of a one-year NCRA student membership ($46 value) or one leg of the RPR Skills Test ($72.50 value)
- More information to come!
Thursday – February 14th
- School trip to the Kew Gardens Courthouse
Also this Week:
Feb.12: Sigma Kappa Delta African American Poetry Slam, @ 11:35am
Bring your own or select from a variety of poems to be read in honor of celebrating notable authors for African American History Month! Pizza will be served!
Feb.14: Valentine’s Day Bake Sale & Sigma Kappa Delta Raffle Kickoff! @ 11:35am
Cupcakes, cookies, pies oh my! All sweets are for purchase so come out and support our goal to raise funds for Safe Horizon-a non profit organization helping domestic violence victims and their families. We will also be kicking off the Sigma Kappa Delta Raffle! Tickets can be bought and placed in the raffle for a chance to win a variety of prizes! $1 per ticket or 6 for $5.